Mumbai batter Sarfaraz Khan lets out a roar as he reaches his century. | Photo Credit: EMMANUAL YOGINI
Welcome to the highlights of the Ranji Trophy 2022-23 matches. This was Santadeep Dey, bringing you the live blog as our correspondents got us the latest updates from ground zero.
RANJI TROPHY HIGHLIGHTS
STUMPS, DAY 2
Stumps Day 2. Vasavada unbeaten on 127. Saurashtra lead by 370 with four wickets to spare. pic.twitter.com/NJc5xDrpcw
– Kerala vs Goa: Praveen Chandran sends a summary of the last session: “Kerala hit back with two quick wickets after tea. However opener Ishaan Gadekar (batting 76) and captain Darshan Mishal (batting 37) steadied the innings with an unbeaten stand of 40 for the sixth wicket. At stumps, Goa 200/5.”
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Ashwin updates: “Mayank overcomes a nervous start to record his 13th First Class hundred. He taps it to square leg and sprints through for a single to get to the milestone. Mayank celebrates his first century of the tournament by acknowledging the small crowd at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium.”
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: There’s nothing that Unadkat can do wrong now…
Jaydev Unadkat has just played a reverse sweep off Ayush Badoni that would make a top-order batsman proud. He gets four. pic.twitter.com/Qp9MZ1JgVu
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Shayan says: “Tamil Nadu loses its first wicket. N Jagadeesan is caught at third slips by Yashasvi Jaiswal. A big wicket for Tushar Deshpande. TN 31 for 1.”
– Services vs Pondicherry: Rahul Paliwal brings up his hundred in Palam as Services inches towards a 150-run lead. SER 357/4.
– Railways vs J & K: Railways’ Akash Pandey leaves J & K reeling with four wickets (18.2-4-35-4) at 142/7.
– Bihar vs Sikkim: Stumps have been drawn after bad light stopped play hours back in Urja Stadium, Patna. Sikkim ends the day at 66/6 in 35 overs.
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Ashwin updates: “Karnataka motoring along at 166/1. R Samarth will be disappointed to return for 81. He looked set for a fourth straight hundred, until he chipped a leg side delivery back to the bowler Ajay Mandal.”
Dejected R Samarth departs for 81. Samarth narrowly missed the chance to get four straight hundreds. @sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/dKN1V1djoH
– Maharashtra vs Assam: KM Jadhav gets a first-class ton as Maharashtra continues to hold strong at 260/2. The side trails Assam by only 14 runs now.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan’s post reads: “ Arpit Vasavada notches up his 10th FC hundred as Saurashtra batters pile on misery. Terrific innings from Vasavada, who shows what can be achieved through sheer pluck, good sense and proactive approach. Saurashtra’s lead has now gone past 300.”
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu:Innings break. Mumbai’s innings ends at 481 after Mohit Avasthi falls for 69 off a L Vignesh delivery. Pairing with Siddharth Raut, Avasthi forged a 92-run last wicket partnership. Mumbai’s lead is 337.
Some slip-catching for Mumbai cricketers. @sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/kOh9g8p7Ts
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Here’s the latest from SCA-C –
Saurashtra cross 400 in their first innings as the lead nears 300. Delhi shoulders are dropping. pic.twitter.com/mzFtFPVyiK
– Tripura vs Chandigarh: Manan Vohra and Kunal Mahajan continue the onslaught as they both cross their respective 150s. Chandigarh enters 400.
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: “It’s tea at the Brabourne Stadium and Mumbai is at 475 for 9, with Mohit Avasthi batting on 68. As he walks back, his teammates cheer for him. After Sarfaraz’s dismissal, Avasthi has ensured that Mumbai takes a massive first innings lead. The last-wicket partnership between Avasthi and Siddharth Raut is worth 86 runs now,” says Shayan.
– Uttarakhand vs Bengal: Shahbaz, Akash Deep and Pradipta have taken five wickets among themselves to leave Uttarakhand struggling at 47 in 18.5 overs.
– Kerala vs Goa: Praveen Chandran provides a summary of the session gone by: “At tea, Goa 132/3. Vaisakh Chandran removed Snehal Kauthankar for 7. But Siddhesh Lad (24 batting)- who was dropped by Jalaj at mid wicket- alongwith captain Darshan Mishal (12 batting) kept Kerala bowlers at bay. Opener Ishaan Gadekar retired hurt soon after completing his fifty.”
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Time for tea!
Tea Day 2 – Arpit Vasavada and Prerak Mankad walk back at tea. Vasavada is 22 short of a hundred. Saurashtra leads by 242 runs with five wickets intact. pic.twitter.com/ljoomQKnSJ
Tea has been taken at most venues…
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Here’s Shayan’s inputs –
Mohit Avasthi scores a half-century as Mumbai reaches 442 for 9 against Tamil Nadu. @sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/6soLnUqKrK
– Uttar Pradesh vs Haryana: RP Sharma departs for zero, handing Aaqib Khan his fourth wicket (7.4-1-30-4). Haryana 77/5.
– Manipur vs Mizoram: Taruwar Kohli’s four-wicket haul sees Manipur close its innings at 277. Mizoram trails by 173 runs at the first innings break.
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Here’s Ashwin with an update: Ajay Mandal, the third-highest wicket taker in Ranji Trophy, enters the attack. The left -arm spinner going around the wicket to attack the stumps.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Here’s the latest update from Ayan –
Samarth Vyas and Arpit Vasavada struck their respective fifties in Rajkot. Delhi took the new ball and persisted with Shokeen from one end.. he gets Samarth caught at short leg .. the extra bounce of new ball caught Samarth by surprise.. Saurashtra lead by 200-plus pic.twitter.com/eL5Owf5F9D
– Rajasthan vs Jharkhand: Having slammed 11 fours and two maximums, Karan Lamba gets to his hundred in 152 balls. Rajasthan 252/9.
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Ashwin tweets:
R Samarth reached fifty in 68 balls. Samarth looks in great touch; could get his fourth straight hundred. @sportstarweb
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan posts on his social media handle: “Delhi took the new ball in the 94th over. But Shokeen will continue from one end.”
– Baroda vs Himachal Pradesh: In reply to Baroda’s 355, HP openers Raghav Dhawan and PS Chopra have both brought up their individual fifties.
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu:Shayan on Sarafaraz dismissal: “ Finally, Tamil Nadu gets the big wicket. Sarfaraz Khan falls for 162 after being caught behind by N. Jagadeesan off a H Trilok Nag delivery. Mumbai 389/9. As Sarfaraz walks back to the pavilion, his teammates give him a standing ovation. It, indeed, has been an incredible innings by the seasoned campaigner.”
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan tweets: “Arpit Vasavada and Samarth Vyas have added 50-plus for the fifth wicket. Arpit has employed the sweep effectively against the spinners and has stepped out too when the length is there for it. Running between the wickets has been quite good.”
+ “Hrithik Shokeen continues to bowl his allotment of overs, unchanged, after the break. He has looked the most threatening all day.”
Saurashtra’s past the 300-mark.
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: 1 5 0 !
150 for Sarfaraz Khan. Tremendous effort!
Mumbai flexing it's muscles at the Brabourne Stadium. @sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/QyETy5iBIb
Shayan adds: “Just before Sarfaraz Khan reached his 150, there was a run-out scare. Loud cheers from the Mumbai dressing room rent the air as the third umpire’s decision went in favour of the home team.
Sarfaraz raised his bat, looked at his teammates and then hugged Mohit Avasthi. It has been a tremendous effort by Sarfaraz, he not only rescued Mumbai from a tricky situation, but also gave the home side a chance to dream for an outright win. Still a long, long way to go, but as usual, Sarfaraz has given Mumbai enough reasons to cheer.”
– Gujarat vs Punjab: BOLD-tej!
Seventh wicket for Baltej! Het Patel is caught behind and Baltej is having one almost every over now. Brilliant rhythm and control in sight from the Punjab seamer. #RanjiTrophy
– Kerala vs Goa: Praveen Chandran says: “Sijomon strikes soon after lunch. Suyash Prabhudessai (3) top edges a sweep and is caught by Vaisakh Chandran. Goa 66/2.”
– Bihar vs Sikkim: Bad light stops play in Patna.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan caught trainspotting at work.
For the curious, the track behind Ground C is the Jamnagar-Okha-Dwarka-Rajkot line. pic.twitter.com/sOxWYKfRp8
– Uttarakhand vs Bengal: Avneesh Sudha sees the back of Ishan Porel, who has to go without bothering the scorers. Bengal wraps up for 387.
– Bihar vs Sikkim: Palzor and Lee Yong Lepcha keep up the fight. From 28/6, Sikkim has now come to 61/6 in 33.4 overs.
– Odisha vs Nagaland: Nagaland enters 400. Sedezhalie, batting on 55, continues to patiently pat the ball about.
– Uttarakhand vs Bengal: It is the sixth wicket for Uttarakhand’s Mayank Mishra (32.0-2-90-6). Bengal loses Geet Puri for 2 and 400 may be difficult to get now. Score: 381 in 118 overs.
– Bihar vs Sikkim: Sumit departs for 15(44b). He is the sixth batter to walk but that’s not the worst part. That he was the one who had scored more than half of the team’s total is. Sikkim 28/6.
– Kerala vs Goa: Praveen Chandran messages: “At stroke of lunch Goa loses its first wicket, stand-in captain Sijomon Joseph induces an edge from Amogh (29) and is caught by Akshay Chandran in the slips. Goa 62/1 at lunch. Ishaan Gadekar batting on 31.”
– Uttar Pradesh vs Haryana: The weather gods have finally decided to show some mercy… Looks like we will have some cricketing action at the BRSABV Ekana Stadium in Lucknow soon.
🚨 Toss Update 🚨
Uttar Pradesh have elected to field first against Haryana.
Follow the match ▶️ https://t.co/VJlFi4DA84#RanjiTrophy | #UPvHAR | @mastercardindiapic.twitter.com/SVOulbz4ZH
The Playing XIs are in!
Haryana: A K Chahal, A R Rana, Aman Kumar, Ankit Kumar, Bhuwan Rohilla, C K Bishnoi, H J Rana (c), Nishant Sindhu, R P Sharma (wk), S P Kumar, Yuvraj Singh
Uttar Pradesh: Aaqib Khan, Aksh Deep Nath, Ankit Rajpoot, Dhruv Chand Jurel (wk), Karan Sharma (c), Madhav Kaushik, Prince Yadav, Priyam Garg, Rinku Singh, Saurabh Kumar, Shivam Sharma
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Here’s a tweet from @AshwinAchal: “Karnataka 30/0 at Lunch. Chhattisgarh 311. Mayank survives a few flashes outside off. Needs to play close to body in afternoon session.”
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Here’s Shayan with his inputs: “Mumbai went into lunch at 336 for 8, with Sarfaraz unbeaten on 126. It was a successful session for the home team, which bounced back in style, riding on a 167-run partnership for the seventh wicket between Sarfaraz and Kotian. With Sarfaraz scoring his 12th first-class century – ninth for Mumbai – and Kotian playing a steady innings of 71, Mumbai extended its lead as Tamil Nadu bowlers struggled to find breakthroughs.
However, a while before lunch, Kotian was run out and soon after, Tushar Deshpande was caught behind by N. Jagadeesan off a R Sai Kishore delivery. But Sarfaraz stood firm to ensure there were no further slip-ups before the break.”
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan sends the last update before he leaves to grab a quick bite.
Day 2 Lunch. Saurashtra added 82 for the loss of 3 wickets. Lead now 133. Shokeen bowled 16 in the first session. Standout bowler pic.twitter.com/yZ7UL9RBrs
Lunch has been taken at most venues…
– Gujarat vs Punjab: Meanwhile, Baltej is running a one-man show at Sardar Patel Stadium, Valsad. He has picked all of Gujarat’s five wickets, thus far. The score is 46 in 20.5 overs.
– Uttarakhand vs Bengal: The stumps have been rattled! Akash Deep is on his way back. Bengal, eight down for 368, will hope to make it past 400 with Shahbaz and Geet Puri at the crease post lunch.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan has some news: “Shivank Vashisht, Delhi’s right-arm offspinner, is off the field. He has hurt his hand. Shokeen has already bowled 12 this morning. It’s reportedly just cramps and he is expected to bowl in the second session. Himmat Singh is currently on the field.”
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: The 167-run partnership between Sarfaraz and Kotian has been broken. Kotian is run out for 71 as Mumbai loses its seventh wicket for 328.
– Odisha vs Nagaland: Time for lunch at Cuttack’s DRIEMS Ground. Nagaland’s score reads 378/8 in 124 overs. Nagaho (19, 32b) and Sedezhalie (46, 125b) will resume batting after the break.
– Uttarakhand vs Bengal: Bengal has lost four batters today. Manoj Tiwary, Abhimanyu Easwaran, Abishek Porel and Pradipta Pramanik are all in the hut. However, Akash Deep and Shahbaz Ahmed have just managed to take the side past 350.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Here’s another update from the SCA-C ground.
Delhi bowlers making things happen. Chirag Jani now caught behind off Kuldip for 75. Samarth Vyas next as a Delhi fielder yells – "Mahaul bana hua hai, awaz lagao boys, new batsman in" lead is 102 with 6 wickets in hand pic.twitter.com/krlh5z0GvX
– Bihar vs Sikkim: At lunch in the Urja Stadium, Patna, the home team will be happy with its performance thus far. Sikkim has been wounded badly, its score reading 27/5 after 21 overs.
– Kerala vs Goa: Praveen Chandran says: “Confident start by Goa. Openers Amogh Desai and Ishaan Gadekar add 43 runs without any fuss.”
– Arunachal Pradesh vs Meghalaya: Meghalaya’s Tarique Siddique gets his fifty as the side inches towards the 500-run mark. Arunachal has managed to snap three wickets this morning but the runs have continued to come thick and fast at the Lal Bahadur Shastri stadium in Anand.
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Ravi Kiran falls for a duck as Koushik V snaps up his fourth. The Chhattisgarh innings has ended at 311.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan updates: “A new ball will be due in 17 overs. Meanwhile, the umpires give the box a once-over during drinks and pick the new ball.”
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Just another day in office for Sarfaraz…
Shayan adds: “Sarfaraz Khan took a single off R Sai Kishore, jumped in the air, waved his bat towards the Mumbai dressing room and called out loud, “come on boys, come on…”
It was the 12th first-class century – ninth in a Mumbai kit – for the batter and the second of the season, but this century against Tamil Nadu speaks volumes about his character. Coming in at a time when Mumbai was struggling, having lost top-four batters, Sarfaraz ensured that he stood firm and delivered for Mumbai when it mattered the most.
So, as an emotional Sarfaraz executed Sidhu Moosewala’s signature step by smacking his thigh and pointing his finger towards the sky. His Mumbai teammates gave him a standing ovation.
A few minutes later, Tanush Kotian, too, reached his half-century. He waved his bat, got a hug from Sarfaraz. Beginning the day, with a slender 39-run lead, the Sarfaraz-Kotian partnership has given Mumbai a fresh lease of life. And coming into the game after a finger injury, the seasoned Kotian, too, stamped his class, ensuring that he hangs in there and backs Sarfaraz as much as possible.
Tamil Nadu’s strategy of bowling short-pitched deliveries worked on the first day as Mumbai lost a couple of quick wickets. Taking lessons from that, Sarfaraz and Kotian played risk-free shots to make sure that Mumbai took control of the game.”
A CENTURY FOR SARFARAZ KHAN!
He takes a single off Sai Kishore, jumps in the air, waves his bat towards the dug out and says loudly, "Come on boys, come on!"
Incredible innings this has been! #RanjiTrophy@sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/cw1xaPQgl7
– Madhya Pradesh vs Vidarbha: Pacer Yash Thakur finishes with four wickets as Madhya Pradesh’s innings comes to an end at 309.
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Ashwin: “Ashutosh (135, 319b) falls to a poor shot. Fishes outside off to a wide harmless delivery from Kaushik, and gets the edge. The end of a terrific knock, nevertheless. He is applauded by his teammates as he exits the field.”
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Just ahead of the drinks break…
Sarfaraz Khan on 91 and Tanush Kotian on 32. Mumbai 260 for six against Tamil Nadu. @sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/tH9CUcWOvX
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan posts…
Sheldon Jackson is the new man in..lots of chatter from the Delhi fielders.. taunting Chirag Jani with "bina call kiye bhag jaega". All signs point at Saurashtra trying to bat out the whole day if possible. pic.twitter.com/nzD6oDPpGo
– Bihar vs Sikkim: Veer Pratap Singh scalps two and Bipin Saurabh inflicts a run-out as Sikkim finds itself in dire straits at 1/3.
– Kerala vs Goa: Our correspondent MR Praveen Chandran sends an update from the St. Xavier’s KCA Cricket Ground: “Kerala all out 265. The Goan medium pacers Lakshay Garg and Arjun Tendulkar run through Kerala lower as host loses five wickets for 18 runs in the morning. Rohan Prem was trapped in front by Garg off the day’s first ball for 112. Garg finishes with fine figures of 4/44 and was well supported by Arjun Tendulkar (2/49).”
– Gujarat vs Punjab: Gujarat’s Chintan Gaja shines with a fifer, pulling the curtains on the Punjab innings for 286. However, Punjab is not letting things go easy. Baltej Singh gets rid of Kathan Patel for nought.
– Services vs Pondicherry: Rahul Singh Gahlaut gets to his half-century off 67 balls. He has hit seven fours and two sixes thus far. Pondicherry has failed to contain the openers as Services continues to cruise along. The score is 94/0. CAP had scored 216 in its first innings.
– Karnataka vs Chhattisgarh: Ashwin Achal is here with the first update: “Vidwath Kaverappa gives Karnataka a great start. The pacer takes out Shashank Singh and Ajay Mandal on successive balls to get a fifer. Additionally, he will attempt the hattrick in the first ball of his next over.”
– Uttar Pradesh vs Haryana: At BRSABV Ekana Stadium in Lucknow, there is still no sign of action. A washout on Day 1, followed by a delay in start on Day 2 owing to bad light.
– Baroda vs Himachal Pradesh: It’s innings break at the Motibaug Cricket Ground as well. Baroda has folded for 355. Didn’t take much doing after Vishnu Solanki fell for massive 178.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan pings again: “Needless from Harvik Desai and Saurashtra. Harvik is run out for 107. He pushed the ball towards the cover fielder and took off for a single. Chirag Jani was never interested. Delhi has been handed a breakthrough on a platter.”
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Ayan texts: “Chirag Jani gets to his 50 with a pull shot for four and then solidly blocks the next ball.”
– Kerala vs Goa: After Lakshay Garg removes two Kerala batters – centurion Rohan Prem and Jalaj Saxena – under thirty minutes, Arjun Tendulkar joins the party. He accounts for the dismissal of Basil Thampi. 264/8 reads the scorecard.
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Shayan updates: “Sarfaraz Khan started the day with two consecutive boundaries – one through fine leg and the other towards the third man – to bring up his 10th first-class half-century. The celebrations were muted; Tanush Kotian walked up to Sarfaraz, gave him a fist bump and then both went about their business. It’s a crucial first session for Mumbai and as Tushar Deshpande pointed out last evening, Mumbai’s aim would be to ‘extend the lead as much as possible’.”
– Maharashtra vs Assam: Assam (274) loses its last man – Akash Sengupta 65(126b) – as we head into the innings break.
– Odisha vs Nagaland: And there… we have it!Bist scores the first century of the day across venues in 172 balls (12×4, 1×6) even as Nagaland trickles past 300.
– Bihar vs Sikkim: Inclement weather may have forced a washout on Day 1 but looks like we have a cracker of a contest awaiting us today.
The flip of the coin favours Bihar and skipper Ashutosh Aman has elected to field.
The Playing XIs are in!
Bihar: Ashutosh Aman (c), S Gani, Bipin Saurabh (wk), Yashaswi Rishav, Mahrour, Babul Kumar, Sachin Kumar Singh, Pratap, Abhijeet, Veer Pratap Singh, Shivam S Kumar
Sikkim: Ashish Thapa (c/wk), Palzor, Nilesh Lamichaney, Lee Yong Lepcha, Sumit, Anwesh, Pankaj, Arun, Bijay, Md Saptula, Tarun Sharma
– Andhra vs Hyderabad: KV Sasikanth picks up two wickets in quick succession. Sahani is on his way back for 3.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Sheldon Jackson, released by the Kolkata Knight Riders, wasn’t picked by any team ahead of IPL 2023. He will be desperate to prove doubters wrong.
.@ShelJackson27 taking a few throwdowns ahead of Day 2. #RanjiTrophypic.twitter.com/N07PcAte65
– Mumbai vs Tamil Nadu: Our assistant editor Shayan Acharya has made it to the press box as well. A promising second day loading…
Good morning from Brabourne Stadium.
Prithvi Shaw and Armaan Jaffer busy with some catching drills with Mumbai coach Amol Muzumdar.
Mumbai has a slender 39-run lead over Tamil Nadu. A crucial first session about to begin in the next 20 minutes. #RanjiTrophy@sportstarwebpic.twitter.com/qEkorQXtL0
– Andhra vs Hyderabad: Hyderabad has lost an early wicket! ‘Keeper-batter Bhavesh Seth perishes for 9. Chandan Sahani is the new man in.
– Odisha vs Nagaland: Wicketkeeper-batter Chetan Bist and Sedezhalie get things rolling for Nagaland. The team’s 300-run mark and Bist’s 100 are within easy reach.
– Tripura vs Chandigarh: Gah! Bad news coming in from the MBB Stadium in Agartala. The start has been delayed due to bad light.
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Harvik Desai has made the triple figures. Chirag Jani is one big hit away from his fifty. Do you think Dharmendrasinh Jadeja’s services would be required in the first hour?
.@dajadeja9333, Mumbai's tormentor taking a few throwdowns pic.twitter.com/0lbMKkySbw
– Saurashtra vs Delhi: Our reporter Ayan Acharya’s reached the SCA-C ground early. We hope he managed to get a piping-hot cuppa!
Good morning and welcome to Day 2 of #SAUvDEL in #RanjiTrophy. It's bitterly cold for my Chennai sensibilities. Let's get the cricket going pic.twitter.com/4rf2BmqkOB
HOW THINGS STAND
STUMPS, DAY 1 –
STORIES FROM OUR REPORTERS ACROSS VENUES
Read more stories on Domestic.
TRENDING THIS WEEK